A Ancient Castles in Argyll
The castle was built by reforming churchman John Carswell, who was Rector of Kilmartin, Chancellor of the Chapel Royal at Stirling, and later titular Bishop of the Isles. Carswell published the first book in Scottish Gaelic, a translation of John Knox's Book of Common Order. Construction began in 1565 using masons brought from Stirling. Although the castle was notionally built for Carswell\'s patron, the Earl of Argyll, he intended it as a personal residence for himself.
On Carswell\'s death in 1572, the castle passed to his patron, the Earl of Argyll. Later, in 1643, the 8th Earl of Argyll sold Carnasserie to Sir Dugald Campbell, 3rd Baronet of Auchinbreck. Following the 9th Earl\'s failed uprising in support of the Monmouth Rebellion, against James VII in 1685, the castle was blown up by Royalist forces. Although the outer walls remain largely undamaged, the ruins were never repaired. In the 19th century the estate was sold to the Malcolms of Poltalloch, who also own nearby Duntrune Castle.
The Private House Stay's Guide
Argyll stretches from Ayrshire in the South along the Western seaboard with Greater Glasgow to the East and the Fort William area to the North. Theoretically, Argyll includes the Western Isles, but the Islands are often separated because of their different cultural identity. Much of the area has been developed in the past by Glasgow merchants, who built houses overlooking the entrance to the Clyde. It is wonderfully diverse area of industrial and natural heritage with efficient ferries connecting the various peninsulas and islands and many festivals staged throughout the year.